1) NTT DoCoMo to exit India, unload entire stake in Tata Teleservices:NTT DoCoMo plans to exit Tata Teleservices by selling its 26.5% stake in the joint venture with Tata Group, the second high-profile pullout from India announced by a Japanese company this month after multibillion-dollar investments failed to bring the returns they'd expected. Japan's No. 1 telecom operator said Friday its agreement with the Tata Group allows it to exit Tata Teleservices by the end of June if the venture missed some performance targets agreed upon initially.
2) Centre recommended AP House dissolution: The Union Cabinet on Friday recommended dissolution of the Andhra Pradesh state Assembly and extension of President’s rule beyond April 30. The decision of the Cabinet is a mere technicality as Central rule in a state expires automatically if it is not ratified by Parliament within a period of two months. The dissolution of the Assembly paves way for extension of President’s rule. Since the general election process is underway and another three phases of Lok Sabha polls are due, it was not feasible for the government to take the Parliament route to obtain the ratification. Andhra Pradesh was placed under Central rule on March 1 after the resignation of the then Chief Minister N. Kiran Kumar Reddy in protest against the Union Government’s decision to bifurcate the state.
3) Facebook launched Newswire for journalists: Facebook has launched FB Newswire, with the aim to make it easier for journalists and newsrooms to find, share and embed newsworthy content from the popular social networking website in their work. The FB Newswire is a Facebook page of hand-selected and journalist-verified news stories from across Facebook's platform, according to Andy Mitchell, director of news and global media partnerships at Facebook.
4) Narendra Modi, Arvind Kejriwal and Arundhati Roy among Time's 100 influential people: Bharatiya Janata Party's prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi and Aam Aadmi Party leader Arvind Kejriwal have made it to Time 100 list of the world's most influential people along with Indian novelist Arundhati Roy. While Modi figures in the category of "leaders", Kejriwal is listed among the "pioneers" and Roy makes the grade among "icons" in the annual list released Thursday after an online poll of readers.
5) Abhinav Bindra to lead Indian challenge in CWG 2014: Former World and Olympic champion Abhinav Bindra, who won the national air rifle championship and sparkled in the two selection trials, will spearhead the Indian challenge in shooting in the Commonwealth Games to be held in Glasgow, from July 23 to August 3.
6) Former Barcelona coach Vilanova died: Former Barcelona coach Tito Vilanova died on Friday at the age of 45 after a long fight with cancer, the club announced, plunging the sporting world into mourning. Vilanova lost his battle with a cancer of the salivary gland that was diagnosed more than two years ago, forcing him to step down as Barcelona boss last July.
7) PV Sindhu entered Badminton Asia Championship semis: World No. 10 P.V. Sindhu won her quarterfinal match to proceed to the women's singles semi-finals of the $200,000 Badminton Asia Championships at the Gimcheon Indoor Stadium, South Korea.
8) Manmohan’s younger brother joined BJP: In a major embarrassment to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, his younger brother Daljeet Singh Kohli joined the BJP on Friday. Amid cheers, Mr. Kohli was welcomed by the BJP’s prime ministerial candidate, Narendra Modi, who hugged him. He was presented a siropa (robes of religious honour) in the presence of Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal and BJP’s Amritsar candidate Arun Jaitley.
9) Indian Squash Player Saurav Ghosal won Dato Alex Lee Award 2013: Saurav Ghosal the famous Indian squash player won Dato Alex Lee Award 2013 for contributing as the best and outstanding squash player though out the year fo 2013. Saurav Ghoshal name has been selected by Asian Squash Federation (ASF).
10) Biocon elevated Arun Chandavarkar as CEO and joint MD: Bangalore-based biotechnology company Biocon Ltd has elevated Arun Suresh Chandavarkar as chief executive officer (CEO) and joint managing director (MD) of the company, as per a stock market disclosure.