Daily Current Affairs Updates: 14 April 2014
1) 123rd birth anniversary of Dr. B.R Ambedkar celebrated: The 123rd birth anniversary of Dr. Bhim Rao Ambedkar was celebrated across India. It was celebrated as as Ambedkar Jayanti every year in India. On this dayhomage is paid to Babasaheb’s statue at the Parliament by the President, Prime Minister and other dignitaries. Ambedkar was born on April 14, 1891 to the Ramji Maloji Sakpal and Bhimabai in a poor Mahar family in Mhow, Central Provinces, British India (Madhya Pradesh). He died on December, 6 in 1956 at the age of 65.
2) Konkan services hit after goods train derailed near Ratnagiri: Long-distance train services on the Konkan Railway have been disrupted after five wagons of a goods train derailed inside a tunnel between Ukshi and Sangameshwar stations near Ratnagiri on Monday morning. Apart from diverting several trains, the railway had to cancel as well as short-terminate several services. "Five wagons of a 41-wagon empty goods train derailed at 8.10am. As cranes cannot enter the tunnel, services could not be restored even 12 to 14 hours after the incident. The derailment's cause is not yet known," Konkan Railway spokesperson Vaishali Patange said.
3) Bubba Watson wins 2014 Masters Golf tournament: Bubba Watson withstood an inspired early challenge from playing partner Jordan Spieth to clinch the Masters for a second time in three years with a three-shot victory at Augusta National on Sunday. Trailing the prodigiously talented Spieth by two strokes after seven holes, the left-handed Watson took advantage of a faltering run by his fellow American around the turn as he upped his own game, then maintained control on the back nine.
4) Dipika Pallikal loses in Texas Open Squash final: Dipika Pallikal stumbled on the final hurdle against Egyptian teenager Nour El Sherbini in the title clash of the Women's Champion Fiberglass Texas Open in Houston, USA on Monday. Eyeing maiden major title of her career, world No 12 Dipika faltered against the 18-year-old qualifier 7-11, 11-5, 7-11 to lose in 48 minutes.
5) Baroda wins Mushtaq Ali T20 title:Baroda pipped Uttar Pradesh by three runs to regain the National T20 title for the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy in a thrilling last ball finish at the Wankhede stadium on Monday. Chasing a challenging target of 145, the Venkatesh Prasad-coached Uttar Pradesh team needed 11 runs off 7 balls but lost the plot as the batsmen at the crease, Praveen Kumar and Upendra Yadav, couldn't manage to overhaul the target and UP finished at 141 for six.
6) Santoso shocks Lee to win OUE Singapore Open badminton: Indonesia’s Simon Santoso pulled off an upset victory over world No 1 Lee Chong Wei to clinch the US$300,000 OUE Singapore Open badminton championships . Santoso, who has beaten the Malaysian star, a two-time Olympic silver medallist, just once in 10 previous meetings, won 21-15, 21-10 to claim the US$22,500 men’s singles winner’s cheque at the Singapore Indoor Stadium.