1. Who was India’s nominee for the post of U.N. Secretary General
(a) Lalith Mansingh
(b) Chinmaya R. Gharekhan
(c) Indra Nooyi
(d) Shashi Tharoor
Ans. Shashi Tharoor
2. Which of the following is TRUE of Chikungunya?
(a) A viral illness spread by mosquito
(b) An illness spread by chicken
(c) A fungal illness spread by mosquito
(d) A bacterial illness spread by mosquito
Ans. A viral illness spread by mosquito
3. Which country created news in October 2006 by announcing that it performed nuclear weapons test?
(c) South Korea
(d) North Korea
Ans. North Korea
4. Which of the following is NOT TRUE of India?
(a) Smallest state is Goa
(b) Least populous state is Sikkim
(c) Area wise the largest state is Rajasthan
(d) Most populous state is Tamilnadu
Ans. Most populous state is Tamilnadu
5. As Rajghat is associated with Mahatma Gandhi and Santivan with Nehru, which place is associated with B.R. Ambedkar?
6. Who wrote the book ‘‘The annhilation of caste’?
(a) B.R. Ambedkar
(b) Kanshi Ram
(d) Ram Vilas Paswan
Ans. B.R. Ambedkar
7. ‘‘Self respect is a most vital factor in life. Without it man is a mere cipher. Who said this?
(a) Alexander Pope
(b) Erich Segal
(c) B.R. Ambedkar
(d) George Eliot
Ans. B.R. Ambedkar
8. Which among the following mountain peaks is the highest?
(a) Nanda Devi
9. Which of the following is NOT TRUE of India’s national flag?
(a) It is a horizontal tri-colour
(b) The ratio between the width of the flag to its length is two to five
(c) Its design was adopted by the Constitutent Assembly on 22 July, 1947.
(d) Its use and display are regulated by a code
Ans. The ratio between the width of the flag to its length is two to five
10. Which was the first political occassion when ‘Vande Mataram’ was sung?
(a) 1896 session of the INC
(b) 1912 session of the INC
(c) On 15 August 1947
(d) On 26 January 1950
Ans. 1896 session of the INC (Held at Kolkotha, translated in to English by Aurobindo Ghosh)
11. Which of the following is TRUE of Indian Standard Time?
(a) 5.5 hours ahead of GMT
(b) 4.5 hours ahead of GMT
(c) 3.5 hours ahead of GMT
(d) 2.5 hours ahead of GMT
Ans. 5.5 hours ahead of GMT
12. On May 11, 2000 India’s population was estimated to have reached:
(a) One billion
(b) Two billion
(c) Three billion
(d) Four billion
Ans. One billion
13. How many mother tongues are spoken in India?
(a) More than 1600
(b) Less than 500
(c) More than 2500
Ans. More than 1600
14. Some incidents in India’s freedom movement are arranged chronologicaly in the options below. Which of them is correct?
(a) First Meeting of INC, Formation of the Muslim League, Massacre of Jalianwallabagh, Moplah rebellion in Malabar.
(b) Moplah rebellion in Malabar, First meeting of INC, Formation of the Muslim League, Massacre of Jalianwallabagh.
(c) Massacre of Jalianwallabagh, First meeting of INC, Moplah rebelion in Malabar, Formation of Muslim League.
(d) Formation of Muslim League, First meeting of INC, Moplah rebellion in Malabar, Massacre of Jalianwallabagh.
Ans. First meeting of INC (1885) Formation of the Muslim League (1906), Massacre of Jalianwallabagh (1919), Moplah rebellion in Malabar (1921).
15. Which of the following is NOT TRUE of the constitution of India?
(a) It was drawn up by a Constituent Assembly.
(b) It came into effect on 15 August 1947.
(c) It closely follows the British Parliamentary model.
(d) It differs from the British Parliamentary model in holding that the constitution is supreme and not parliament.
Ans. It came into effect on 15 August 1947 (Correct answer 26-1-1950)
16. What is a group of owls called?
(a) A parliament of
(b) A bed of
(c) A shoal of
(d) A flock of
Ans. A parliament of owls
17. Which is India Post’s web site?
Ans. Indiapost.gov. in
18. Who among the following is given the credit of establishing the modern postal system in India?
(a) Lord Clive
(b) Lord Mountbatten
(c) Lalith Mansingh
(d) Shashi Tharoor
Ans. Lord Clive in 1766
19. Expand the abbreviation G.P.O
(a) Generic Post Office
(b) General Post Office
(c) Group Post Office
(d) Grand Post Office
Ans. General Post Office
20. PIN Code Zone No.6 includes besides Kerala:
(a) Karnataka and Tamilnadu
(b) Tamilnadu and Lakshadweep
Ans. Tamilnadu and Lakshadweep